Monday, June 18, 2012

Lola's Half Marathon

Two Saturdays ago my friend Meredith and I decided to "wing" a half marathon. When I say "wing" I mean neither of us really trained for this half, but both of us had been running/working out. I would have trained for it had I known about it, but I didn't find out about the race until the week before. The advertisement said "Most Scenic Half Marathon in Minnesota," so I figured I had to run it! Luckily, my friend Meredith is a runner and when I asked her if she wanted to sign up, she of course said yes! ;)

Our day was quite the experience. We arrived 10 minutes after the start of the race only to have to run the first mile and a half rather fast to catch up to the rest of the group. Then Meredith took off and I didn't see her until I crossed the finish line (In my defense, she was training for a full marathon up to three weeks prior...18 miles was her longest run...mine was 7 ;)...).  Anyway, I had my music on the whole race and decided I was going to walk when I needed to. Doing a race using that approach is actually the best way to run a race in my opinion. No pressure, just out to get some good exercise, fresh air, and move those legs!

We both finished in better times than we had anticipated considering our lack of appropriate training. We had a great time and enjoyed a bloody mary post-race!





1 comment:

  1. Hello Love! It's been so long!! Hope all is well with you guys :) I just nominated you for a blog award so if you want more info see my blog for more details: http://www.thatorganicgirl.com/2012/10/liebster-award-nomination.html

    Not really sure if a winner is ever announced but it helps with getting more followers :)
    Glad to hear that Mick is doing well, hope you are enjoying school! Stay in touch

    ReplyDelete